Phase 1 and 2 Rehabilitation: Main Road from Muizenberg to Fish Hoek was rehabilitated by removing all existing layerworks, carrying out localised geometric improvements, and reconstructing it using waterbond Macadam, bitumen treated base, and asphalt. All services in the corridor, including 300 mm and 600 mm watermains, a 300 mm sewer rising main, various stormwater systems, as well as gravity sewers, were replaced.
Phase 3: The City of Cape Town’s objective was to rehabilitate two sections of Main Road together with the relevant services. The Northern Section starts at the Atlantic Road intersection and ends at Casa Labia. The total length of this section is 600 m. The first 100 m of road will only receive minor alignment improvements as well as a new road surface with new brick paving for the parking embayments. The rest of this section will receive a total road rehabilitation, including alignment improvements and upgrades to all underground services. The Southern Section starts at Kalk Bay Harbour and ends at the Clovelly Road intersection. This section of road will receive a total road rehabilitation, including alignment improvements and underground services upgrade. The existing structure between Woolley’s Pool and Clovelly intersection will be replaced with a new retaining structure. Work on the structure will include demolition of the old structure and the construction of a new structure with stone cladding to the exposed face.
Phase 1 and 2: Knight Piésold provided full engineering services, including pavement investigation, pavement design, detailed design, tender documentation, contractor procurement, and construction supervision. Knight Piésold furthermore carried out an ongoing public participation process for all phases with the assistance of Chand Environmental.
Phase 3: The rehabilitation of approximately 1.76 km of existing carriageway, together with the existing services, consist of:
- Removal of existing asphalt, bitumen treated base, and granular layers, as well as disposal thereof
- Lifting, stockpiling, and relay of existing stone kerbs and channels
- Replacement of existing water mains together with all necessary fittings and specials
- Replacement and/or rehabilitation of existing 250 mm diameter gravity sewers and manholes
- Replacement of existing concrete stormwater lines and/or rehabilitation of catchpits and manholes
- Construction of a new 150 mm water-bound macadam sub-base layer
- Construction of a new 120 mm bitumen treated base layer in two layers of 60 mm each
- Construction of a new 50 mm asphalt surfacing
- Brick paving of selected areas, including parking areas for roadways, embayments, and entrances, where required
- Installation of new subsoil drainage with inlets into stormwater system
- Construction of new concrete retaining structures, including reinforcement, false work, and formwork
- New road markings and road signs
- Installation of new galvanized steel handrails
- Replacement of electrical light poles and traffic signals
- Consulting Engineers South Africa: 2018 Aon Engineering Excellence Awards, Commendation, Projects with a Value between R50 Million to R250 Million Category, Rehabilitation of Main Road between Atlantic Road, Muizenberg and Clovelly Road Project.
- Construction World Awards: 2018 Winner, Rehabilitation of Main Road between Atlantic Road, Muizenberg and Clovelly Road Project
- Institute of Municipal Engineering of Southern Africa: 2018 Excellence Awards, 3rd Place in Structures and Civils Category, Rehabilitation of Main Road between Atlantic, Road, Muizenberg and Clovelly Road Project
- Consulting Engineers South Africa: 2015 Aon Engineering Excellence Awards, Commendation in “Projects with a value between R50 million to R250 million” Category, Rehabilitation of Main Road between Atlantic Road, Muizenberg and Clovelly Road, Clovelly Phase 2: Leighton Road, St. James to Kalk Bay