The Marandoo Mine is an open pit iron ore mine, which has been operating since 1994 with an annual production of 15 Mt of ore. The waste fines storage facility (WFSF) contains the washed and screened fines material from the wet processing plant.
Knight Piésold’s Role
- Geotechnical investigations for major new plant infrastructure, crusher upgrades, and various foundations, consisting of drilling, test pitting, seismic refraction, laboratory testing, and tailings testing
- Investigation, design, construction, and operational reviews of a 3 Mm3 water supply dam
- Geotechnical investigation, design, approvals, and construction of a 16 Mt WFSF, including ongoing embankment raising construction supervision, operational reviews, and expansion studies
- Option studies, geotechnical investigation, design, approvals, and construction of a second 25 Mt WFSF, including design of pump upgrade, 8 km delivery and water return pipeline design, and associated instrumentation and electrical components
- Site wide hydrology studies, including climatology, process water balance, creek diversion and infiltration dam designs, inundation mapping, dam break studies, and sediment control design